Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Talking to a 4-year old

I really love being a Dad. I have three really great kids who are a lot of fun and really want to be good. I have nothing to complain about.

Even with good kids, parenthood can still be pretty frustrating. As an example, I'd like to share a discussion that I had with my 4-year old last evening. It must be a phase he's going through, because this sort of conversation is happening a lot.

open scene

A father is kneeling down surrounded by his three young boys. They are playing basketball with a fisher-price toy basketball hoop. A 4-year old (4yo) walks over to the father (Me).

4yo: Dad
Me: Yes?
4yo: ( somewhat agitated) DAD
Me: Yes, 4yo?
4yo: (very agitated) DAD!
Me: 4yo?
4yo: (throws himself on the ground in a rage)
Me: What do you want?
4yo: (crying hysterically)
Me: What's wrong?
4yo: (red faced)YOU'RE SO RUDE!!
Me: why am I rude?
4yo: I'M TRYING TO TALK TO YOU!!
Me: I'm trying to listen to you
4yo: DAD!
Me: yes?
4yo: (screaming in frustration) AAAHHHHHGGG!!
Me: what do you want?
4yo: I'M TRYING TO TALK TO YOU!
Me: (with growing irritation) I'm sitting right here, my ears work fine, no one is stopping you. Go ahead and ask me!
4yo: YOU ARE RUDE AND I WON'T EVER PLAY WITH YOU AGAIN!!
Me: why not?
4yo: (red faced) I'M TRYING TO TALK TO YOU AND YOU WON'T EVER SAY "WHAT"!!
Me: OK, "what"?
4yo: (pause with his face in his hands)
Me: What do you want to ask me?
4yo: You made me forget!
Me: I'm sorry! When you remember, ask me.
4yo: Dad!
Me: (forgetting to say "what") Yes, 4yo?
4yo: DAD!
Me: (remembering to say "what") what, 4yo?
4yo: I want you to throw me that ball
Me: OK, catch!

The 4-year old misses the ball, which then hits him in the face. He finds that hysterically funny and collapses on the floor with infectious, unstoppable giggles.

end scene

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We sympathize with you, but have to admit that we laughed pretty hard when we read about your interaction. I read it out-loud to our four year old and when we read about 4yo missing the ball and it hitting him in the face, she laughed pretty hard herself!

Anonymous said...

Taia:"Mom."
Me:head turns to look at her but no words.
Taia: "Mom!"
Me: still looking at her and still not saying a word
Taia: "MOM!!!!!"
Me: still looking eyes bigger and still no words.
Taia: throws the Polly Pocket, falls face first onto the floor, throws her head back and screams
"MOMOMOMOMOMOM!!!!"
Me: "Yes Taia" still looking at her
Taia: "Will you play Polly Pocket with me?"
Me: "Yes Taia."
Taia: "I don't have Polly Pocket anymore."
Me: "ok"
Taia: "MOM!!!!"
Me: "Yes Taia."
Taia: "Go get my Polly Pocket."

ugh.