Friday, December 1, 2006

I can do unisex!

I started getting headaches when I was in graduate school. After worrying about brain tumors and stress levels, I decided to actually do something about it and I went to an opthamologist. I've worn glasses ever since.

Glasses can be irritating, especially if I didn't notice that they were dirty until the lights go down in the theater. It's frustrating to have to tilt your head just so for two hours to move the blotch away from Harrison Ford's face.

My latest pair of glasses are rimless, where they drill directly into the lens to attach the ear and nose pieces. I like how light they are and that they are unobtrusive on my face. The picture on the right shows glasses very similar to mine. See how they disappear! But, man, the second I put them on, a powerful force sucks all of the oil off of my face and smears it all over my lenses. yuck! I am constantly cleaning them. I never had this problem with my other frames.

The smudge factor has always bugged me. Also, I've had them for about 2 years, so the nicks and scratches are building up. I am therefore in the market for new glasses. My wife and I went to a eyeglass place a few days back to check out the frames.

Most of the frames in the "men's" section consisted of glasses like these.


Surprisingly, I don't like glasses like those. I asked the helpful girl behind the counter where the men's glasses could be found. She helpfully said, "Well, the men's section is here, but most of our glasses are unisex!" That set me back. When I think of unisex, I think of restrooms and black turtlenecks, not glasses. There were some frames that I liked, but some of them require a high level of fashion confidence (that I do not have).





I've thought about getting contacts, but I feel strangely unsafe when I'm not wearing my glasses. I feel like my eyes are vulnerable. It may have to do with the eye-safety video I had to watch for metal shop in junior high school. Wow, I did not like watching that footage of the kid with a pencil in his eye! The metal fragments were pretty unsettling, too. My glasses are like my little eyeball bodyguards.





I guess I'll have to be secure enough in my manhood to go with the unisex frames. I do like these frames. Maybe I should do the hairdo, too!.

1 comment:

John and Laura said...

You should go with the contacts. I can't stand wearing glasses. They always make me feel dizzy if I move my head around too much. I also hate how they fog up when you come in from the cold. The only thing better than contacts in my opinion is having perfect eyes.