Tuesday, August 5, 2008

What is this?


There has been a lot of noise outside recently.

You know the noise your bike makes when you stick a playing card into the spokes? The sound around here is like thousands of children are biking around with cards in the spokes. I thought maybe it was crickets, but the sound was wrong. I was in the back yard the other day and noticed that I could distinguish a location of one of the sounds- it was in a big bush. So I noodled around until I found the culprit. Ugly, isn't he? I grabbed the camera and fearfully snuck my thumb up next to him. I kept imagining the bug leaping onto my thumb and biting, stinging, planting eggs or whatever ugly bugs do. However, he was harmless. There must be thousands of these around in the trees and bushes to make that much noise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is a bulging eye, see through wing noise maker. Did you hear it last summer? I be a garden store could tell you the real name.

Cathryn said...

It's a cicada. Very noisy and ugly too! Glad to see lots of new posts from you recently! Thanks for your nice comment on Ryan & Ashley's blog.