Saturday, July 5, 2008

We only got lost once...


This morning we all got up early and went on our first real Jeep adventure.

I did a bit of research online and found this offroad playground about a half-hour from home. It's just north of Saguaro Lake, no permits required. It called Rolls OHV, which is a little bit too much like "rolls over" for a newbie offroader like myself. What does OHV stand for? Dunno.
We hit a few pretty big hills and had a couple of pretty exciting moments, but overall we kept it tame. Anywhere that was too extreme, we just went another way. The 11yo thought we were stuck once, but I diabused him of that idea with a little 4Low Jeep power. It really is an amazing machine.


After a while the kids were hot and ready to head home. I could see the paved road across the way, but it was a bit tricky getting out. I did have the printout of the roads from the link, but it wasn't really any help, because for some reason there weren't any street signs! (jk) We ended up a bit lost in this area which was used more by motorcycles. The was bad because 1) the turns were sharp and banked at a 45 degree angle, 2) the paths were all really narrow and the bushes and trees were pressing in, and 3)I have a new Jeep with nice paint that I would prefer to not scratch. I had to very carefully navigate out of there, with a few scouting missons on foot to see where the heck I should go.

We found our way out and made it home OK. Oh, and for those worriers among you: Don't worry, I had like 10 gallons of water, some shovels, and we were in a well used area where help was just a yell away.

4 comments:

Janelle said...

That sounds totally fun! I think my boys would have loved it. I thought you guys were driving up today. Shows what I know!

Joey said...

Wow That sounds like fun! I wish I could have been there. I cant wait to see you tonight (tomorrow early)

Anonymous said...

Dad says
Your story of this outing brought back some fun memories for me and my youth, as well as some from your youth. I even clicked on the pictures and dreamed. I even thought about how I would have driven up that hill. It was fun for me but not nearly as fun as it was for you I am sure.

Anonymous said...

You are having entirely too much fun without me. Have you ever off-roaded in a rainforest? You should come try it!