Friday, February 16, 2007

The Gigapxl Project

I like to pretend to be a photographer. My dad bought a really cool 35mm Fuji film camera for me as a young boy. It took really nice pictures, but it was fully manual, so it was slow to get the settings just right. I never really mastered it, but it did start me thinking about framing shots, color, shapes, etc.

Balboa ParkThe guys at the Gigapxl project have created their own amazing digital camera. Early images started at 260 Megapixels, and the latest images contain 4,000 Megapixels (4 Gigapixels). That is a lot of pixels! They are travelling all over and taking ultra-high res pictures of the world. Check out the the amazing detail in the pictures, even when the image is greatly enlarged. Don't you wish your digital camera could take pictures like these! The image to the right is of Balboa Park, San Diego.

Here's the full gallery- they have some amazing shots, including some breathtaking panoramas.

Some of my favorite images.

  • A beautiful day a the beach watching paragliders reveals man's darker side.
  • You can see the hair on the man's legs- amazing!
  • A beautiful picture of the San Diego Temple.

No comments: