Monday, February 12, 2007

The Announcement

On my way to talk to my boss last Friday, I walked by an inspirational sign on a bulletin board here at work. It said "Do something every day that scares you." I think that I achieved that goal on that day.

"Can I talk to you for a sec- in the conference room?" I asked. I hear a quiet "uh, oh" as he stood up. We walked toward the conference room. What sort of small talk can you make in a situation like this? "Boy, I'm glad it's Friday" I say. "Me too" was his reply. We walked the rest of the distance in silence.

We sat down as the fluorescent lights flickered into existence. "Well, I don't really know how to say this, but I'm giving you my two-weeks notice." "OK'" he says, "where are you going?" "To Phoenix," I respond. "You took a job with eFA?" was the shocked reply.

Efa is a division of my company that is, amazingly, even more poorly run and less satisfying to work for than my division. They transferred everyone to Phoenix last summer.

I tried to stop the laugh, but all that did was to cause a loud snort to escape my nose. "Never, I'm actually changing careers. I'm going to go run my brother in law's medical practice." he seemed to take it OK.

And now I can finally talk about the life-changing decisions that my family and I have been making for the last few months. It has taken tons of time to make all of this happen, and it has cut into my blogging time. The funny thing is that I had a lot to talk about, but couldn't due to my lingering fear of my bosses finding out.

I'll try to post a little about abandoning engineering, finding a house, selling a house, the amazing amount of theft involved in the mortgage and the real estate industries, and so forth in the next few weeks. However, I am moving in the next few weeks, so no promises!

2 comments:

John and Laura said...

Congrats on your bravery!

Good luck with the move. Eat some oranges fresh from the tree for us as soon as you get there.

--Minerva

John and Laura said...

It'll be interesting to read all those posts when you get a chance to write them. I think the two weeks after you give the notice would be a little awkward. You'll have to let me know.

Nerd Boy