Thursday, September 11, 2008

It's all Jill's fault

A while back we discovered that our 11yo is left-eyed. What is "left-eyed", you ask?

It turns out that, as with hands, we tend to favor the use of one eye. Almost everyone is right-eyed. Which are you? Pretend that you are a pirate, and your lookout in the crow's nest has just sounded the alert of a heavily loaded merchant vessel. Make a pretend telescope with your hand by curling your fingers and touching your thumb. Put your (pretend) telescope up to your eye to look at the other ship for yourself. Which eye are you using? That is likely your dominant eye. It only seems to matter if you are left-eyed when it comes to rifle shooting. It can be awkward to sight down the barrel with your left eye.

The 11yo, has overcome this disability by aiming with his right eve. At one point on our Labor Day outing, hit 5 soda cans in a row at 30 feet. I think he'll be OK even with his left-eyed disability. If not, maybe he can get government assistance. At least he's not left handed, or heaven forbid, color-blind!!!

Anyway, on our Labor day trip, I discovered that Jill is left-eyed! So the 11yo must have inherited it from her!

4 comments:

Chelita said...

Hey now... I've done pretty well for myself during these 27 years of life with this disability that I didnt even know I had! I think he'll be just fine! Ü

Jill

Anonymous said...

I'm left eyed too. I know this because I am also a little lazy-eyed and I tend to read with only one eye open -- my left eye.

Cathryn said...

I am left-eyed also - so, it does run in the family. Being right-handed and left-eyed is supposed to be a real advantage when batting in baseball. Does 11yrold play baseball?

Janelle said...

I think I am left eyed. Who knew there were so many in one family?