Saturday, October 4, 2008

Rush hour fun

My new job is only close to my house in the same way that diet soda tastes close to regular soda. Not close at all. Yes, I'm back commuting. It's not all bad. I have time to listen to my podcasts and some tunes and enjoy the top down on my sweet Wrangler. I've had a (surprisingly) pretty good attitude about it.

I've been enjoying open-air driving a lot. Even when it's pretty hot out, it's worth it to let the air run her fingers through my hair (just don't tell Allie!) :)

I discovered one downside to being exposed to the air last week on my way to work.

My drive is mostly on the freeway, and about half of it is stop-and-go. During the stop-and-go time, there's nothing really you can do but breathe deeply and not think about it.

Well, last week I was sitting there breathing deeply, when something unpleasant entered my personal space. A giant semi ended up next to me and boy did it stink! The trailer had an open top and it was filled to overflowing with rank garbage. The smell quickly became overpowering. My honey nut cheerios were in serious danger of coming up.

Normally in this sort of scenario, I'd just close the windows and put the AC on recirc, but that won't work in the Wrangler! We stop-and-goed together for 5 or 6 minutes until his lane slowly pulled ahead of me. I could still smell it, but I wasn't gagging anymore.

Why would you drive a semi full of trash on the freeway during rush hour anyway? Couldn't the garbage wait an hour? By leaving later and missing all the delays, you could probably get your rush trash delivery to the dump at almost the same time!

1 comment:

Janelle said...

I am jealous of the open air and listening to things that are interesting and fun (as opposed to my listening pleasure- "pop goes the weasel"). Ya, there is no way out of the garbage in the bad traffic senario. Bet ya never thought of that when you bought your jeep.