Monday, June 29, 2009

Disneyland 2009 Trip #2

It was a few weeks ago, but we went on our second Disneyland trip over my birthday weekend. It was a lot of fun. I forgot to take very many pictures. But I did get this one. Pretty good picture, eh (insert sarcasm). We hit all of the favorites and didn't feel at all rushed. It's wonderful having season passes!

Almost as popular as Disneyland was the beach. We went to the Corona del Mar state beach near LA. It cost $10 but we could park right by the beach and they had showers, bathrooms, and lifeguards. The water wasn't TOO cold, and the waves were perfect for boogie-boarding. It was a blast. Some of the waves were actually a bit too big and I was smashed into the ground a few times. But I always got up with a smile on my face!


There were some tide pools near this beach where the boys could catch crabs, so that was fun. The 10yo accidentally let some of the larger crabs escape. While he was looking for them, something really large crawled across my legs as I was drowsing in the sun. Needless to say, I jumped out of my skin, but I found one of the missing crabs. On a side note: Jill didn't come with us this time, so no one got sunburned :)



One of the exciting parts of our beach trip was this giant ray corpse that washed up on the beach. It was neat at first to see it up close. That lasted about 5 minutes. Then it became a rotting stinky corpse on the beach. Blech. After 20 min or so, it washed back out to sea. I was glad to see it go, until I realized that I no longer knew where it was. I only knew that it was lurking somewhere in the surf. We went swimming way down the beach after that. It washed up on the beach and back out several times that day. When it was up on the beach the seagulls would go over to peck off a little snack. The funniest part was all the ladies that were scandalized that the birds would dare deface such a magnificent creature. They would say things like, "You leave him alone, you terrible birds!", and try to shoo the birds away. These people need a lesson about nature. One guy ran over to the lifeguards to see if they would haul it away. They wouldn't.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi... just happen to cross your site... I see that you also love Disney... me too...

Im planning to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong Disney this Christmas. Hoho and I found some stuffs from Hong Kong Disneyland here as well:
disneycloth.cwahi.net

I will definitely take tones of photos there!!!

Janelle said...

Looks like a fun trip. That beach looks nice. I am glad you got to go somewhere fun for your birthday.

John said...

I love California beaches. The beaches up here aren't nearly as fun. Granted, you can drive onto the beach, and play in the sand and water, but you want a jacket; and your kids will cry about being cold before you're there very long.

Cathryn said...

Another great southern California trip! I think you still have a little of that California blood in your veins somewhere. Nice beach pictures, but I hope you weren't boogie boarding near those rocks. If so, you wouldn't be blogging because you'd be recovering from severe massive injuries right now. Interesting dead ray pictures. I haven't seen that before. I did see a dead sea lion on the beach once. Not a pretty sight, but your kids would think it was cool - for 5 minutes or so.

Chelita said...

Hey now! That was just one time that I got super fried! I'm better now! :)
I'm sure that ray was cool but I had the same thought you did- so it washed out to sea... but you may possibly run into it in the next wave- and that sir- would be terrifying! Glad that didnt happen!

Jefferson said...

Cathryn: No, we didn't boogie in the rocks. They were over on the side of the beach. I definitely have the SoCal blood in me. I absolutely love the ocean.

John: At least you have a beach so close. You should think about getting some wet suits. I bet the girls would be nice and toasty in there!

Minako: We absolutely love DL. We even splurged and bought season passes, even though we live 6 hours away by car. Have fun at HK or Tokyo Disney!