Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Hike to Blueberry Hill


Our family enjoys hiking. At least we used to when we lived right next to the beautiful Wasatch Mountains. We have gone on a hike here, but it was an hour and a half from home, up in the mountains northeast of Phoenix. We went last June thinking it would be much cooler in the mountains. It was cooler, but it was still 95 degrees and much too hot to hike. Allison was too concerned with making the kids drink, and forgot to drink enough herself, so she threw up all the way home. Yesterday, we tried again, closer to home, with a neighbor family as guides.

They called the hike "blueberry hill". The 5yo loves blueberries and asked if we could pick some there. There were no blueberries, but there were many beautiful blue flowers. That's where the name came from, the flowers. There were also white and yellow poppy flowers. There were also a wide variety of cacti, lizards, and sun. Maddie (our puppy) came along and got so hot that she was foaming at the mouth and hyperventilating. Thank goodness that we had a hiking dog bowl! (Thanks JB!) It really is an alien landscape here.
Good fun was had by all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to listen to the Lettermen sing " I found my thrill on Blueberry Hill" it sounds like the 5ys found a thrill too. What beautiful wildflowers! I'm glad you found a place to hike. Thanks for sharing your adventurers. M

Joey said...

Wow it sounds like so much fun! I really wish I could have been there. I guess since you've written a blog I better get busy and start writing too.

Anonymous said...

I am trying to imagine what a "hiking dog bowl" looks like. Is it a dog bowl with legs or is it like a muzzle something? I'm glad you had a good time. I can't imagine living in a place where it is that hot in March, Ugh. Glad you had fun though.

Chelita said...

I have to say that it is time for me to STOP working on Saturdays so that I can join you on these fun adventures!

Janelle said...

We love to hike too. I don't know if I'd want to hike in 95 degrees either. Actually there is not a lot I want to do in 95 degrees. When we come to visit you it will be in the winter. I am glad you found a fun hike.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post Jefferson! I check back all the time to see what your up to there in the valley of the sun. My oldest daughter just moved there with my 2 brothers to go to school. Everyones asking when I'm coming down. Even I'm still waiting for that answer. GIVE US MORE BLOGS! (don't forget to check out mine too! ishouldnotdothis.bogspot.com)